Assorted thoughts and content from the world of video games!

Assorted thoughts and content from the world of video games!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Want to See the World!

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to finish Batman: Arkham Asylum and review it, but I have another little gripe I want to point out. Basically in this game, there is a "detective mode" which enables you to see places you need to go, track movements of people to know where next to go and also even the position of the enemy, allowing Batman to stealthily take them out one by one with ease, not allowing the bots with near perfect aim to shoot him down in only 6 seconds. The problem with the system, as the player, is that you never want to leave this mode, meaning you feel stuck with a worse, computer like graphical display rather than the relatively pleasant to look at visuals of the game. The sections where you are forced into stealth are pretty much impossible without detective mode and I would have missed plenty of riddles if I didn't often check the world with this mode. Unfortunately they have made it so there is little solution to this problem, so I will continue to miss out on the bloom filled gritty world and instead feel as if in a VR simulation.


This is what the player sees for too much of this game, whilst it is useful, I want to see the world!.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a video game masochist. I love the challenge, so I like to starve myself of those things.

    Little did I know, Alan Wake on Normal gives you enough ammo and batteries to power and then destroy Europe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like self-imposed challenges too often/early on. Only if I get ridiculously into a game and I'm looking for an excuse to play it again, same with harder difficulties. It gives me something to do when I come back to it later! (Also it would probably just frustrate me)

    ReplyDelete